Coronavirus 2019 or COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a new virus. This infectious disease is being studied and new information and updates are currently being released. The information in the report card is provided from November and December 2020. Information is released daily regarding cases, deaths, and current vaccinations on the MDH website.
Sources for graphics:
- 270,157 positive cases (Nov. 2020)
- 338,973 positive cases (Dec. 2020)
- 7,219 newly reported cases (Nov. 2020)
- 5,371 newly reported cases (Dec. 2020)
- 3,779,834 COVID-19 tests completed (Nov. 2020)
- 4,439,728 tests completed (Dec. 2020)
- 3, 845 total deaths from confirmed and probable cases (Dec. 2020)
- 51% of cases are women
- 49% of women are hospitalized
- 39% of women were admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Women made up 49% of COVID-19 related deaths
- Latino/a/e Minnesotans are testing positive for COVID-19 at almost 3 times the rate of White Minnesotans
- 80% of the 3,241 people who died of COVID-19 in MN were White (Nov. 2020)
Native American and Indigenous people have the highest hospitalization rate of any race. Of all who test positive for COVID-19 in these populations, 15% were hospitalized (Nov. 2020).
More information about COVID-19 can be found on the MDH and CDC websites.