Our Minnesota team is one of eight selected to participate in a Better Vision Together- Community of Practice, which is convened by the National Center for Children’s Vision and Eye Health at Prevent Blindness (NCCVEH). The goal of this two-year project is to improve vision and eye health in the at-risk, minority, and vulnerable populations of young children.
The NCCVEH works with the Community of Practice to implement actions and solutions anchored in population health strategies through a peer-support approach, including policy change, systems of vision and eye health, public awareness, and data collection. The project is convened by the NCCVEH and funded through the federal Health Resources and Services Administration’s Maternal and Child Health Bureau.
The team is led by Minneapolis Public Schools, Office of Early Childhood Education.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Center for Leadership Education in Maternal Child Public Health, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- Parents in Community Action: Head Start and Early Head Start
- Children’s Minnesota
- City of Minneapolis Health Department
- City of Minneapolis Youth Coordinating Board
- Early Youth Eyecare (E.Y.E.) and Kirby Puckett Eye Mobile • Phillips Eye Institute, part of Allina Health
- Hennepin County Public Health Family Services
- MD5M Lions KidSight Foundation, Inc
- Minneapolis Public Schools, Office of Early Childhood Education
- Minnesota Department of Education (MDE), Early Childhood Screening (ECS)
- Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), Child and Teen Checkups (EPSDT)
Promoting Equity in Children’s Vision Health
Our work was featured in the Department of Education Office of Early Learning’s Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services “Voices From the Field Blog: Interview with Cindy Hillyer.“
Advancing Minnesota’s Vision Health: Design, Action & Impact
Learn more about our work in this presentation shared at the 2019 NCCVEH annual meeting in Baltimore.
Lions Club KidSight USA
This presentation provides background on KidSight, a national coalition that screens preschool and school-age kids.
Questions about the Task Force? Contact cynthia.hillyer @ mpls.k12.mn.us.